No product is as inseparably connected to Styria through its development and production as Styrian Pumpkin Seed Oil P.G.I.. These regional ties should be preserved in order to protect this typical Styrian speciality. Therefore, the EU-Commision declared "Styrian Pumpkin Seed Oil P.G.I." as a Protected Designation of Origin with article 5 VO(EWG) Nr. 2081/92 in 1996.
With its designation as a product of Protected Designation of Origin, Styrian Pumpkin Seed Oil P.G.I. joins the company of products such as: Prosciutto di Parma, Prosciutto di San Daniele, Greek Feta Cheese and Nürnberger Lebkuchen as one of the most well controlled, elite and exclusive European specialities.
Following the regulation (EG) Nr. 510/2006 the designation "Styrian Pumpkin Seed Oil", regulation (EG) Nr. 1263/96, may only be used when the basic product specifications are met, as well as the following criteria:
- The seeds used in pressing must come from pumpkins of the species Cucurbita pepo var. styriaca.
- The procedure for the pressing of the pumpkin seeds follows traditional methods, meaning the washed and dried seeds are ground, are then slowly and gently heated and finally pressed without the use of any refining procedures.
- The oil must be 100% pure Pumpkin Seed Oil from the first pressing.
- The pressing of the pumpkin seeds takes place an oil press which is found in the listed Styrian and Burgendlandish districts.
"P.G.I." - export stamp
P.G.I. stands for Protected Geographical Indication and guarantees:
- it is guaranteed that the pumpkin seeds originate in a geographically defi ned region (in Austria)
- pumpkin seed oil was manufactured in domestic oil mills
- 100 % pure pumkin seed oil from the first pressing
Every export stamp has an individual control number, which ensures you receive the best quality, original Styrian Pumpkin Seed Oil P.G.I. Make note of the export stamp, found on the bottle top or label, when buying Styrian pumpkin seed oil.
What if there is no export stamp on a bottle of Styrian Pumpkin Seed Oil?
Styrian pumpkin seed oil found in bottles without an export stamp, available in many super markets, should still carry the blue and yellow EU logo on their label. Otherwise, the Styrian pumpkin seed oil has not been subject to the EU protected designation of origin requirements. This means that the origin of these pumpkin seed oils is not traceable, as is possible with oils bearing the Styrian Pumpkin Seed Oil P.G.I. export stamp.
In order to ensure the high quality of Styrian Pumpkin Seed Oil P.G.I., a stringent system of controls are in place that comprehensively monitor the domestic pumpkin seeds on their way from the field to the oil press and once in the bottle on to the shops' shelves. Our system of controls depends on the internal controls of each producer in combination with external controls, performed by the producers collective as well as by an accredited external organization. The export stamp, on NEBAUER´s bottle top or label, and the presence of an individual control number makes the authenticity of each bottle of Styrian Pumpkin Seed Oil P.G.I. visible to consumers. This way each product can be easily traced from the pumpkin to the pressing location.
NEBAUER - 100 % originality, purity & enjoyment